There are many things which you can do to protect your animals from disease, and so improve their health and welfare. These actions also have a public health benefit, as many animal diseases can be transferred to people.
Biosecurity, or Bio-risk, is a term often used to describe the complete package of actions and measures which focuses on disease avoidance.
- Biosecurity enables you to assess and reduce the risk of disease, supporting you in keeping your animals healthy and improving their productivity.
- Biosecurity translates as ‘safe life’ and helps prevent disease reaching your farm and contain it if does arrive.
- This will safeguard:
- the health of all your animals and birds, at all stages of production
- everyone involved in animal care
- the wider farming community and its ability to trade
- against all types of infectious organisms which cause disease
- Biosecurity is a way of life:
- for everyone and all animals, not only for elite herds or flocks
- for everyday, not only during outbreaks of serious disease